Sunday 16 August 2015

Day 227-228: Weekend of teaching and freestyling on BBC ;)

Great amount of footage from lessons this Saturday thanks to Caitlin - my new weekend assistant extraordinaire :) 

Lovely sunshine, some very good progress with the riders and a reasonably easy commute back home is what makes a perfect Saturday ;) 

I spent most of today watching dressage! The online coverage of Aachen Championships is fabulous with live streaming from the Freestyle to music for several hours. It doesn't get much better than this, maybe bar actually being there. 

There were a few combinations I really enjoyed watching for harmony, suppleness and relationship between the horse and rider but an absolute highlight for me was Desperados. Ever since seeing that horse live at London Olympics in 2012 I followed his career, both him and his rider are truly inspiring to watch. 

Kristina Bröring-Sprehe and Desperados - Aachen 2015
I am sure every British Dressage enthusiast was rooting for Charlotte and Valegro and of course they were phenomenal. However, we all have some image of harmony and Desperados' cat like motion and Kristina's soft hands and beautiful riding won me over this time! 

I very much enjoyed Carl Hester's test on Nip Tuck - an example of bringing the most out of a horse that lacks the flashy exuberance or super star athleticism, yet somehow showing the riding that still allow the horse to shine. What dressage really should be about. 

A pair that caught my attention and that I have not seen before was Diederik van Silfhout and Arlando. I am not usually a fan of watching Dutch dressage training but know nothing about this pair's methods at home and I did like the way he rode the horse in this test. Incredibly quiet with very steady hands yet seemingly leaving the horse to move by itself. 

I am looking forward to catching more action on Thursday, this time from show jumping arena :) 
Wx
Share:

No comments

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig